As always, Dr. Zhao’s ZIP-AM laboratory welcomes self-motivated students and researchers at all levels (undergraduate, graduate, and postdoc, etc.) who are interested in advanced manufacturing research, novel products realization, and precision engineering.
(posted on: August-28-2021) Openings of Senior Undergraduate / Graduate Students with Chemical or Material Science Background
(posted on: June-25-2021) Multiple Fully Funded Openings of PhD Graduate Students
- Additive Manufacturing (AM) Process Modeling, Measurement, Control, & Qualification
There are several immediate openings for PhD graduate students in Professor Xiayun Zhao’s research group (zipam.pitt.edu) in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at University of Pittsburgh (Pitt). We are seeking highly motivated individuals with strong background in one or several of the following areas.
- Area #1: Additive Manufacturing Process Control
Required Expertise: Control theory and algorithms (e.g., adaptive control, neural network control), Control system design and validation (simulation and experiment), mechatronics design
- Area #2: Additive Manufacturing Process Qualification
Required Expertise: Big data, Machine Learning, Parallel/Super Computing, Linux, database
- Area #3: Additive Manufacturing Process Modeling
Required Expertise: CFD, multiphase flow (modeling, simulation), thermodynamics, Multiphysics modeling and simulation (e.g., COMSOL software)
- Area #4: Additive Manufacturing Process Measurement
Required Expertise: precision engineering, optics, sensors, measurement science and technology
Successful candidates will have access to novel and sophisticated equipment at Dr. Zhao’s ZIP-AM laboratory as well as to state-of-the-art AM systems in the ANSYS Additive Manufacturing Research Laboratory (AMRL) at Pitt. Moreover, Prof. Zhao’s team has active and close collaborations with leading national labs, institutes and companies such as National Energy Technology Laboratory, National Institutes of Standard and Technology (NIST), Georgia Institute of Technology, and Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.
The candidate must have the following qualifications.
- BS or MS in electrical and computer engineering, mechanical engineering, or other related fields
- Mature personality, honesty and integrity, critical thinking
- Demonstrated theoretical knowledge in mathematics and physics
- Hands-on experimental skills in Design of Experiment, data acquisition and analysis, signal processing, mechatronics design, system integration (hardware interfacing and communication)
- Strong programming skills (Python, etc.), software development experience (LabVIEW, etc.), MATLAB, engineering software packages (e.g., SolidWorks, ANSYS)
- Knowledge/experience in additive manufacturing or 3D printing (not necessary)
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team and independently
To apply, interested individual please email a CV and transcript with contact information of three references and anticipated start date to Professor Xiayun Zhao (email@example.com). Indicate in the email subject with the specific area you are applying and make sure your application package highlights how your background would fit the area of your interest. Send a writing sample of peer-reviewed publications if any. Priority will be given to earliest available and highly qualified applicants. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Thank you for your attention.